Wellbeing SA and the Premier’s Council on Suicide Prevention are developing SA’s Suicide Prevention Plan 2022-2025.
In April 2021, SARAA held a community consultation so we can ensure the Suicide Prevention Plan will include a focus on the needs of LGBTIQ+ people.
Through the consultation we heard that we need:
- to acknowledged that LGBTIQA+ people people are at greater risk of suicide given experiences of abuse, discrimination, or homophobia/transphobia
- to make it easier for LGBTIQA+ people to talk openly about who they are
- better access to inclusive health and mental health services for LGBTIQA+ people
- to ensure that support services are inclusive and understanding of the diversity of the LGBTIQA+ community, including diversity around age, gender, cultural identity and ability status
- more support for safe spaces for LGBTIQA+ people - some young people literally survived because of community-run drop-in spaces
- more inclusive, respectful communities free from homophobia and transphobia.