The South Australian Rainbow Advocacy Alliance (SARAA), formerly the Gay and Lesbian Health Alliance of SA (GLHA), was formed in 2013 by a group of concerned community members to advocate for:
- The health and welfare concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) people; and
- Positive change to related policy issues affecting the ability of LGBTIQ people to live safe, happy and fulfilled lives in the wider community.
Health and rights for LGBTIQ+ people
Working together to advocate, inform and educate for a LGBTIQ+ inclusive and safe South Australia
Diversity, Inclusion, Respect, Equity, Visibility
- To advocate for legal reform, resources, educational and support programs for the ongoing health, wellbeing and self-empowerment of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer-identified people;
- To lobby government and non‐government bodies to enact legal reform and for the provision of such services, resources and support;
- To act to remove stigmatisation of and discrimination against gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer-identified people;
- To act to ensure the public and the media are correctly informed, and to correct false, misleading or offensive statements about gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people;
- To actively encourage peer involvement in the work of SARAA, recognising that such people will provide the means for new ideas, skills, networks and voluntary involvement in pursuit of SARAA’s goals; and
- To consult, work with and support community, government and non-government organisations and individuals in the pursuit of the goals of SARAA.
- Utilise forums, online media (including SARAA website and Facebook) and individual engagement to improve connections with LGBTIQ individuals and community organisations to enable collective action;
- Engage with the DCSI LGBTIQ Inclusion Unit to progress the SA LGBTIQ Inclusion Strategy; and
- Engage with political parties and individual MPs to progress the SA Government’s commitment to end legal discrimination against LGBTIQ people.